Tuesday, December 24, 2013

From Proof to Miracles


"Officer, look at this picture.  I was on hold with the DMV for an hour and forty-two minutes.  My ride to drop my car off at the mechanics could not wait any longer than that; I had to go."  This is what I planned to tell a police officer if one pulled me over while I was driving with a suspended license today.  

I imagined this photo was proof that I respect the law, administrative process and the folks who work to uphold both.  So, even though my license wasn't reinstated, I felt I could drive my car to the mechanics without breaching my personal integrity.  

I love proof.  I love being able to say, "See, I respect the process."  
Or, "they said this to me.  They love me."  Or, "Check this out.  There is nothing to worry about." 

Proof, I'm finding, is a double-edged sword.  

Today, I listened to what a couple people said to me and turned those words into proof that there is something wrong:  with a relationship, with me, with how the world works.  I felt sad while  thinking like that.  It is not exactly uplifting to perceive myself, others or an experience as flawed.  

Basically, I was using what other people said or did as proof that I failed to communicate well, failed to express my love, failed to be my best self. 

WTH?!? 

There is nothing outside of ourselves, absolutely nothing, 
that can disprove our inherent worth and dignity.  

There is nothing outside of ourselves, absolutely nothing, 
that can prove our inherent worth and dignity.  

There is no need to prove anything to anyone.  

The value of our existence does not need proving, it needs conscious remembering.  



It's a miracle that people can feel so profoundly sad and confused and love anyway.  It's a miracle that people can fall headfirst into despair and rise encouraged.  It's a miracle that the sun shines, the wind blows, that we never know what the next moment holds.  It's a miracle that nothing can tarnish the perfection of who you are, not even your doubt or disbelief.  

No comments:

Post a Comment