Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Ego Whisperer


This winter I bought a CD of guided meditations to increase brain function. I thought it might help me conduct an ego exorcism.  I was sick and tired of all the judging, resisting, scarcity, separation, fear and distractions plaguing my mental space.  I thought the CD would teach me how to re-wire my brain so I could run that ridiculousness out of town.  

Instead, the CD told me to thank my brain.  

Express gratitude for how automatic thinking patterns have protected me in the past, gratitude for how deftly my brain finds familiar patterns and makes tasks easier, gratitude for chemistry that invites conscious awareness in every moment.  

Ego Whispering
The movie The Horse Whisperer, and the documentary about the actual Horse Whisperer, had a powerful impact on me.  His approach makes so much sense.  Be kind.  Be gentle.  Don't force, rush or threaten.  

After those CDs reminded me to thank my brain, it occurred to me to whisper to my ego.  So, when I hear judgement, feel resistance, fear not looking good, I visualize squatting down on my heels and being with whatever part of me is surfacing.  No rush.  Let that part of me come forward.  

Case Study:  the Real Thanks Video Game
The following is an absolutely accurate, though partial, list of what my ego has to say about the Real Thanks Video Game:

  • people are going to judge me for being full of myself
  • people are going to judge me for being insincere
  • someone I respect might email me saying, "please stop doing this."
  • people won't "get" gratitude over facebook
  • this is stupid
  • I am totally out of it and now everyone will know
  • I'm a jerk for thinking people might judge me

I'm almost stunned by how vulnerable I have felt simply from making up a "let's make thank you videos" game and inviting people to play.  

I mean, if I started a nudist colony, I would expect to feel afraid.  

But, inviting people to express their thanks?

Knock-Knock.  
Who's There?
Karma

I've been ego-whispering myself.  Letting myself be with the mental chatter, and the feelings that come along with it, has transformed my relationship with my ego.  My ego is not something to resist, it's the signpost for freedom that says:


You are on fertile ground. 
You are shifting how you are in the world. 
You make that shift by forgiving yourself 
for not being like this before. 

I forgive myself for all the times I have doubted other people's  motives. I forgive myself for not paying attention to invitations  that could have been of benefit to me. I forgive myself for being cynical.  I forgive myself for the hurt I may have caused when I was doubting.  

Freedom!

Of course, it helps that the game is sourced by my calling.  It helps that I practice yoga, that I sit in stillness every day. It helps that I'm the facilitator of Real Like That and inside an empowering conversation about who we are. 

Why Not Play the Real Thanks Video Game*?
Nobody has to make a video and send it or post it; this is an invitation and entirely optional.    
Pay attention to how you feel when you consider making and sending/posting a video of thanks.  
Listen to your reasons for why or why not.  
Distinguish your ego from your best self. 
Whisper.   

*link to Real Thanks Video Game: http://wonderwithinstitute.blogspot.com/2014/01/2014-starts-with-real-thanks.html

No comments:

Post a Comment