Friday, February 14, 2014

Love in a Van Down by the River


If you do not recognize the photo above then you are in for a treat! This is a link to the van down by the river skit.  I think these skits came out while I was in high school because I remember Chris Farley as Tommy Boy in college. Tommy Boy blew my mind.  I wasn't expecting it to be so freaking hilarious! Like Bridesmaids, except less sophisticated and intelligent.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, don't worry about it.  Tommy Boy cannot be discussed; it can only be experienced

Like Love. 

Love is an experience.  And like maps can only represent locations, words can only represent Love.  Love is a state of being. 

The Energy of Destruction 
Today I was super relaxed in one moment and then Emma began talking about how we live too far out and she wants to move. Honest to God, from one second to the next my body, mind and spirit went into fight or flight mode.  My chest tightened, muscles in my arms and legs tensed, my breath became shallow.  I felt anger and an urge to destroy something.  Really.  For some reason the idea of a huge pile of something to set fire to came into my mind and it was not unpleasant.  
  
I could feel all this happen, and was even the awareness of all this happening.  However, I am not sure I conjured up loving awareness; it was probably a trimmed down, no muss no fuss, awareness: 
Emma, I am not available for this conversation.  I am managing a couple other balls in the air and I'll be honest with you, I don't know how to put where we live up in the air without wanting to kick something.  I need a couple days. 

Later in the same ride she complained about how long the ride was taking.  I pulled the car over. I pulled the car over.  That's how on the edge I was. I pulled the car over, turned to her and said, Emma.  I can. Not. Deal. with moving now. I am closed about it.  I will open up but I am not yet.  This is not the time.  Lest you wonder, I said all of that in the "don't fuck with me" key.   

Where does that energy - the energy of destruction, of fire, of raging rivers, of avalanches and mudslides, of tornados and blizzards - come from and who trains people to wield this energy well? 

The Alchemy of Destruction
I've always felt this energy.  My sister can tell you that when we were growing up I was processing a boatload of anger and fear; she was often at the receiving end.  I've written before about anxiety and I; anger is also my bedfellow. For years I would provoke my sister - teasing her, manhandling her and disrespecting her things.  This provoking was an unconscious expression of anger and because it was unconscious, was sometimes mean. I was bored and angry and anxious.  I was also happy, loved and safe.  But that's not what this post is about. 

Fortunately, by high school I had an awakening that I wanted to be a supportive sister.  It became so clear to me that I would not be mean to my sister.  At that time, I had no idea what was going on with me only that whatever it was had nothing to do with my sister. I'm not saying I haven't been a royal pain in the ass since then or hurt her feelings.  What I'm saying is that I made a conscious decision not to be mean.   

That experience changed my life.  Because I was so young when all this happened, forgiving myself was not as challenging as it could have been.  Also, perhaps because I was young it was quite easy to change my behavior.  Third, my sister forgave me at various levels and allowed us to shift gears in our relationship. Looking back now, that experience imbued me with confidence in transformation:  at any moment any of us can transform anything.  

Destruction can seed transformation.  Just like fire is a powerful ally when the nature of fire is seen and respected.  We don't light fires in dry fields then turn our backs and walk away.  Awareness and respect for any experience cause transformation.  

After I gave Emma the Mafioso instruction not to speak of moving again, I felt post anger remorse. My mind wondered - was I responsible with my anger, is there anything I need to do now, did I disrupt the flow of love, is that even possible? Remembering that I am the Loving Awareness of my mind's wondering, I relax into a different point of view where destruction can co-exist with love:  





...You cannot make an omelette without breaking eggs. 
Destruction before creation...

from In the Field by Joseph Campbell


3 comments:

  1. Loved the beautiful meditation at the end... it helped me to sink into your words as they relate to me and my experience... what came up for me was - Nature is RAW... some people use the word "unforgiving" but i do not see it that way.. Nature is raw...it just is.. we are part of nature... we are RAW... the full spectrum of our emotions are like the weather to me... rain, wind, thunder, sun, gentle breeze, tornado, cloudy, starry night, full moon, new moon... short days-long nights, long days- short nights, etc... everything is constantly changing and moving and shifting and transforming.. rapidly.......... and so are we! I don't why i get so frustrated with myself when i am angry.. why have i taken a million classes, workshops, read a million books all so i can train my anger- dissolve my angry- transform my anger??? Why do i want to turn away from my nature??? I feel all of it... bliss, love, kindness, awareness, peace, hatred, frustration, disappointment, jealousy... etc... I am nature...always changing... and it occurs to me to think - it would be terrible if only the sun did shine..nothing else..not only would it be boring as hell..but we would quickly burn up - dry up and die... we need the rain - the storms- the wind...it keeps things moving, it moves us when we don't want to move but need to... I will leave you with a thought - once when my kids Maya and Eli were 10 and 6 - we attempted a concert and Eli acted like a complete loon.. it was embarrassing and upsetting. My anger boomed and on the way home i yelled.. i mean i really yelled... later that day i apologized for my behavior, explained that just because i was a mother that it did not mean that i was perfect and honestly people get mad and frustrated and make mistakes... So Maya said to me ( age 10 ) " I think it is wonderful that we can experience adversity with you - in our home because you help us work through it in good ways... you don't just leave us hanging..Thank God we did not have to learn out on our own in the real world without help" - from the mouths of babes!!! So - maybe it is time just to say simply- nature is raw... i am raw... that is the natural way... Maybe we should just simply trust the way it is..the patterns, the changing?? love you! xxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacers, thank you for moving the conversation forward. Thank you for framing it as RAW.
    Elizabeth, that helps me frame your work in an entirely new light! Those of you who don't know Elizabeth Fraser, she is the heart and soul behind Girl Gone Raw - girlgoneraw.com.
    What about feeling, expressing and even INGESTING raw experience? the vitality of raw energy? Wow.
    That share about Maya... amazing. We don't need to know, we don't need answers, we simply choose to trust what is. Love.

    ReplyDelete