Thursday, February 20, 2014

Yes is Peace (and Love)


Shenanigans and Synchronicity
Everything happens at the perfect time. 

I was thinking about you today.  Last night my friend Julie put up a Facebook post about how NBC reported the US getting the bronze in bobsledding.  Apparently, the first thing the newscaster did was ask, "Are you disappointed that you didn't get the gold?"  

We live in a culture where winning bronze at the Olympics isn't good enough for immediate congratulations.  It's no wonder, Julie posted, that so many people struggle with issues around self-worth.   

We have been taught to look outside of ourselves for happiness - good job, big paycheck, other people's admiration, financial security, access to recreation and awards.   Looking to the outside for happiness is a trap; the lack of appreciation for bronze is a perfect example.

As I was wondering about sharing this with you, my stepfather called to tell me there was a ted talk about happiness on NPR.  If you listen to it, or already did, you'll hear the various Ted Talkers say that self-awareness and being present are essential happiness practices.  

Making the shift from focusing mostly on the outside to focusing equally, if not more, on the inside can be challenging. After all, when you pay attention to what is happening internally you'll likely notice: 

  • compulsive negative thinking about certain people or experiences
  • obsessive worry about the future
  • ruminating over the past
  • unpleasant feelings in the body
  • uncomfortable emotions
All of this is completely normal; these mind patterns are the result of conditioning.  Please be compassionate with yourself by being the Loving Awareness of seeing of how your mind operates.  


Today I ate a ginger chew. As I was chewing it, my throat started closing.  I would have wondered why except my throat kept closing. My throat couldn't have picked a better time for this shenanigan; earlier in the day I listened to a talk about fear by Mooji. As all of this was occurring I could hear Mooji say "tell your discomfort to give you its best shot.  Say yes to the discomfort.  No problem."  

I felt calm but my throat was closing so I laid down on the floor.  I felt completely at ease; I knew this was temporary.  My throat closed entirely.  I was not breathing for 2 seconds.  And I was not panicked; there was a complete absence of drama.   Then my throat opened again.  

Love is yes. 
Love is not a literal yes.
Yes doesn't mean doing what people ask you to do, necessarily. 
Yes can include plenty of no.   
There are no rules for what Yes looks like.    

Yes is a willingness to be in the moment rather than fight it, run from it or manipulate it. 

  • I laid down on the floor. 
  • Julie wrote a Facebook post. 

There are no rules for what Yes looks like. 

Loving Awareness practice gives us the courage to be with ourselves.  There is no discomfort, no crappy situation, that cannot be transformed into something beautiful:  



No matter who you are
what you're going through
where you've been
what you think you know
you have a light in your heart to transform all pain into Love.   That light turns on each time you remember you are the Loving Awareness of your experience. 

Keep practicing.  
You are essential. 

No comments:

Post a Comment