Saturday, March 15, 2014

Brilliant Fish


If you are not absolutely clear that you are a genius, perhaps it is because you are trying to be something you're not.  

Sometimes it is obvious when you are trying to be someone else.  After eight years in graduate school I finally said to my ex-husband, "I cannot do this anymore.  I feel like I'm a square peg trying to fit into a round hole.  This isn't me. I have to stop doing this."  I walked away from an entire life.  And I never looked back.  Talk about obvious.

It's not always like that, though.  Sometimes, trying to be something you're not is more subtle.  Rather than being in a career that isn't a good fit,  an unhealthy relationship, or living in an uncomfortable climate, people obscure their genius with expectations:

  • how your children should behave and feel to prove you are a good parent
  • how quickly things need to come together to prove a new venture is worthwhile
  • how friends, lovers and family should behave to show they love you
  • what life should look like to indicate that life is working out. 

How did we get hoodwinked into valuing expectations?  If your lover regularly complains about you, you will likely get bored and leave the relationship.  Expectations are not required. You don't need to expect your lovers will celebrate you.  You simply show up in the present moment, honor your intuition and see that it is not workable to be in an intimate relationship with someone who is not a member of your pump-up-jam band.      

In fact, expectations high-jack people.  Thinking about how things should or should not go distracts you from the present moment where things are going how they are going, regardless of what you think.  Filtering the present moment through the lens of expectation creates a barrier between you and your internal guidance system.  Does this sound like freedom to you?


Nope, me neither.   


In satsang today:
I find that people have a certain idea
of how things should be
and then they try to squeeze life into that shape
and it's very painful.

Now, one who is free cannot do that. 
They cannot go into those shapes. 
They will refuse. 

And then people will say, 
"ah, but you're not even trying.  You must commit yourself." 

And you say, 
"No.  Why should I try to put myself into jail?"

Free is who we are.  Experiencing otherwise is an indication that we can let go of something.  Usually, expectations.  For me, that demystifies a quote from yesterday's post, "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."  Lose your expectations that obscure the truth of who you are - a genius.  A genius like these people who are:



Give yourself a moment to consider what it would be like to live  free of expectations.  What fears, insecurities, resentments, and stories would you lose?  You are free to lose them.  


Do you have a "yeah, but...."?
Who is the one that notices the 'yeah, but...'?  
Look.  
Be the awareness of the 'yeah, but...'  
Don't try to kick the 'yeah, but...' out.  
Just leave it alone and be who you are.  
Free.  Free from the pull of  'yeah, but...'

6 comments:

  1. Thank you Anna - you have added immeasurably to my sunday morning contemplation. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna - thanks for your response the other day. I love this one on the "no expectations". I think I say that several times a day and whether I live up to it or not (my "no expectations" expectation), I am certainly happiest when I live that way...

    It's refreshing to just be in the moment and go with it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been listening to Bossy Pants, by Tina Fey, and totally heard her voice as I read today's post. You two could be BFs but you already have a BF so forget about it!

    What is so great about your posts is that I believe you! When it was Love Like That I was loving loving loving. Now that it's Free Like That, I feel free free free! I get this whole thing about being who I am meant to be, being my unique skills and talents and not putting pressure on myself to be what is a struggle for me. It just makes more sense.

    Thanks Anna! PS I love the straight hair profile photo! Shakin' it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an honor to be in the same thought as Tina Fey. And you.
      <3

      Delete