Friday, March 14, 2014

Free to Walk


The spirit behind this sentiment is also found here:
Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose. 

Thinking
For a long time, I didn't get it.  I thought, whatever these people are talking about, that's not the freedom for me.  I don't want to be penniless, without supportive relationships and a means of making a joyful, powerful contribution to the world.  

I missed the point.  Can walk away doesn't mean must walk away or will walk away. Can walk away doesn't mean effing everyone over when walking away.  Right?

I don't know if it was Dan's comment about yesterday's post or my daughter Emma arguing with me tonight, but today I heard myself thinking,  "Theoretically I could walk away from my parenting responsibilities, but I won't.  Does that mean I can't?  Does that mean I am not free?"

All this thinking.  Not good. Not bad.  Not me.  Not you.  We are not our thinking.  What is your best thought?  That's not you.  What is your worst thought? That's not you.  

I've been thinking my whole life.  That's how we were taught to deal with life - think things through.  Right?  But all this thinking has us confused, maybe even bamboozled. (Let me know how jealous you are that I got to use that word today.  JK.  We're free, not jealous. :D)  We've thought so much we believe thoughts are more real than who we are.  Please.  Consider this is absurd.  

Free
Being free is being able to bring my attention away (walk away) from thoughts - whether pleasant or unpleasant - and bring my attention to the one who is aware of the thoughts.  


Right now, notice the difference 
between a thought 
and the one who is aware of the thought.  
See?

We cannot think our way to freedom; we do not need to. Freedom is our True Nature.



There was a funny conversation between Mooji and a young man in satsang today. If you want to see it for yourself go to the 30-minute mark. Mooji had just been speaking to how our true nature is free from time.  And the man responds: 

Man:  I still feel this tension when I am asked to be somewhere at a certain time. 

Mooji:  Appointments you mean?

Man: Yes. 

Mooji:  You don't like it? 

Man: No. 

Mooji:  Me, too.  I don't like it.  I am troubled by appointments.  That's why I keep saying, "all my appointments are now." But, I'm not terrified of it.  Somehow, with this life unfolding as it does, appointments come.  We are not dedicated to making appointments but somehow appointments are presented.
  
We are so free we can even be troubled a bit!

I am free.  And so are you.  

Still, my ego-identity says, "no, you're not free. You must do certain things and have other things to be free." 

We all have an ego-identity. It is not a personal failing.  Each time you see the ego for what it is, you create space between you and the ego mind, you are free of it.  Get free by seeing it.  That's all. No action necessary.  Simply see it.  Simply be the one who sees it.  

See it.  What things do you think you have to do?  Look at what you think you have to do and ask: 

  • Who is the one that thinks such things?  
  • Does that one have to do anything to be okay?

When we connect with our true nature, we still do things.  We do things because we are free.  

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!  I'm not kidding.  Give Self-Inquiry a chance.  The only thing you have to lose is tension and resistance.  Don't believe me.  Look. What do you see?  Who sees? Look.  

No comments:

Post a Comment