Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Watch the I


Sitting in satsang with Mooji for weeks and weeks is having a profound impact on me.  Mooji does not teach, he has no knowledge to impart or products to sell.  In satsang, people ask questions and Mooji points to who people are (true nature) and who people are not (personal self).  He does not prepare, he simply sits and guides people through Self-Inquiry.  

I am not Mooji, we are not in Rishikesh and I don't think any of you are sitting in satsang via the internet.  (If you are, tell me!)  So, I think it will be helpful to clarify a couple terms: 

  1. personal self - body, psychological mind - memories, attachments, projections, expectations, mental chatter, habits - and other characteristics of the ego's self-image.  A personal somebody.  
  2. original self/true nature - awareness, presence, timeless, effortless, unbound, source.  A universal nobody.  


Who we are, our true nature, is free.  This is not a concept or something to believe in.  It's a discovery each of us makes as many times as necessary before we completely surrender to this awareness.  Per every sage in every time and place, the discovery of our true nature is the most important discovery any of us can offer humanity.  


Self-Inquiry is Only This
Notice who you are.  
Watch the I. 
If you don't get it, if it feels difficult, 
don't watch what's difficult, 
watch the I.
- Mooji


Your thinking mind, your personal self, will resist this discovery.  Let me demonstrate:


My Ego's Top Five Reasons to Reject Self-Inquiry
  1. Get real; liberation for all sentient beings is more likely if someone discovers a cure for cancer and/or an infinite supply of clean drinking water.
  2. If it's this simple, why haven't we all been liberated already?
  3. If I'm liberated, I will not have anything in common with people I care about.
  4. I don't think I'm doing this right. Shouldn't I see the light?
  5. People I love will say that I am irresponsible and selfish for leaving my personal problems.

Don't take it personally when your mind does everything it can to distract you from discovering your true nature.  We have all been conditioned to identify with an insecure personal self and we all have mental habits born from that conditioning.  You are not those habits, no matter how persistent they appear.  

There is no problem with the mind.  Problems arise when we become attached to the chatter of the mind, so attached that we identify with it.  Let's say you got an email from someone telling you about a mistake you made at work.  You start wondering if you will get fired.  You feel insecure and angry.  If you get caught up in that thinking and feeling you are identifying with a personal self.  From here, all problems arise.  All problems are a function of identifying with a personal self.  And liberation for all sentient beings unfolds when you discover your true nature. 

No belief is necessary.  Look for yourself.  Don't think about who you are.  Look. 


Notice who you are.  
Watch the I. 
If you don't get it, if it feels difficult, 
don't watch what's difficult, 
watch the I.


As soon as we turn our attention to the awareness of the personal self, we create spaciousness.  We cannot be aware of the personal self and be the personal self at the same time.  Self-Inquiry is immediate detachment from the personal self and direct experience of our true nature, Free.




You know how there are people who you just love being around?  They don't have to say a thing, they exude good energy. Don't you then just love introducing that person to other people in your life?   Multiply that experience by 1,000 and that is what Mooji is like. And, he is you.  He is me. He is an awakened Universal Being.  So, I invite you spend some time with him.  You can follow this link to a 50-minute guided meditation with Mooji. (There are logistical updates for the first 10 minutes.)  I am aware that your mind will come up with a million reasons why 50-minutes is too long.  

Notice who you are.  
Watch the I. 
If you don't get it, if it feels difficult, 
don't watch what's difficult, 
watch the I.



Here is a 30-minute guided meditation with Mooji if that makes being with him any easier for you.    



No comments:

Post a Comment